Sunday, September 04, 2005

What did I expect... Katrina...

What did I expect?

On Sunday, Aug. 28, Chuck tracked the path of Katrina on the internet and then later we went up stairs to watch the Weather Channel on Andy and Laura’s TV. We talked about how they were going to get the poor out. We wondered why the military wasn’t doing an airlift…

Again on Monday, and through the week, we made the trek upstairs to check the news on CNN, MSNBC, and any other news outlet we could find. The BBC seemed to have a particular take on things. (We always check the BBC on news…)

At the end of Monday I expected to see troops on the ground and massive super human efforts to evacuate the stranded and bring aid to those in New Orleans, Biloxi, Gulf Port, Mobile and the hundreds of small rural towns scattered through the region. I thought I would see what America is best at… The first couple of days I was surprised to see so little of the morning news programs dedicated to the situation on the coast. The nation seemed slow to turn its face south… but I was sure that very quickly the situation would be made to improve…

I heard about the looting and the violence… I didn’t hear so much about what I knew was also going on, people in private boats, of their own volition, rescuing one another… people caring for strangers…

The number of dead are unknown… but the devastation and loss of life certainly rivals that of 9/11, and already the nation’s attention begins to wane. Generous, yes, so far with money… but I keep thinking, “Where is the grief of the nation? Where is the respect for these people suffering? Was this how it was after 9/11?”

My heart is breaking for people and places that I love… finally grateful for the aid that is coming to them, but wondering what the next months will bring. Don’t ask me why I’m sad and angry… I am grieving.

No comments: