Sunday, February 04, 2018

rant ...


I do not understand people who claim to be Christians who have a preoccupation with wealth and “practicality.”

I do not understand how people who claim to believe in a savior who sacrificed his life, people who supposedly revere the martyrs of early Christianity, who say they believe in the bible – I do not understand – do they not read it? Meditate on Jesus’s words, his meaning? Do they not see the logical implications of the things he preached? Loaves and fishes, the overturning the tables, Lazarus, the eye of the needle – What do they think “love” means?

Likewise, I do not understand how anyone imagines there is some fissure between the divine and the material world. I do not understand how anyone could BE and not know it is a miracle. How can we, awake to the little that we are, not see the divine? How is it possible that we need anything more than the mindboggling wonder of just being to let us know of the divine?

How can people who call themselves Christians not believe in science? How can they possibly think that the study of everything isn’t the study of the mind of God? How do you imagine God but in that imagining limit God?

I wish I could find words to say exactly what I mean here. It’s just that there are such petty small conceptions of the divine – of being – such a preoccupation with things that would be stupid if they weren’t so dangerous. There is so much cynicism in the world. All these F**king political games – people grasping for power – as if it matters – what do they think they’re doing? So many people that seem to think that the best we can hope for is labor, not even work, and just crumbs – to imagine and then punish “enemies” – Our fantasies of the nature of things cause us to concern ourselves with cynical, stupid, dangerous things.

I'm going to try to focus on the positive. I'm in truth an optimist but sometimes I get dismayed at the cynicism I see. It seems to me it eats out people's souls and leaves them empty, grasping, and discontent.

I am grateful for the work. It keeps me going forward. It is hope enacted.

ok - enough now.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well-said.